thank you Mr. Moosh!
Does college stress you out? Are you in school and worried about how to pay for it? Do you torture yourself to get straight As? Do you worry about being able to find a job in your field after you graduate? Are you still deciding whether college is right for you? Have you already graduated and realized that life in the "real world" is bogus as hell?
Life is supposed to be fun. And if your higher education experience is anything less, it's time to reevaluate your options. You can take the traditional route and plod through university, getting into debt and desperately hoping to gain an entry level position remotely related to your field. Or you can start your own business now, stop worrying about your future, and start having fun.
The new paradigm
The Internet gives you access to all the information you would learn in school. And the Internet also lets you start a business with zero overhead costs. No matter where you are in your education, you can start your business now. What is your business, you ask? You.
Your unique life experience is a gold mine, and the foundation of your new business. The things you love thinking, learning, and doing every single day can be translated into information that can help someone else. And if you have the ability to help someone, you can get paid doing it.
All you have to do is share your life experience on a website in a way that helps other people feel good, then give them a way to pay you.
When you introduce the possibility of getting paid for your life experience, leading an interesting life suddenly becomes more appealing. You'll seek out things to learn on your own. You won't need a teacher telling you what to be interested in. You'll curate your own education.
Here's what to do to start your own business that will be supporting you by graduation:
- Decide to take control of your life experience.
- Get a website.
- Use your website to practice feeling good.
- Find your focus. Explore what you're passionate about and decide what you want to learn about. Write about it constantly. Make art about it. Organize your thoughts about it. Put it all on your site in a way other people will enjoy reading. This will build your reputation–it's like creating a real-time resume and portfolio.
- Uplift, inspire and teach people with your posts and articles.
- Make money while you sleep through advertising, affiliate programs, donations, and information products.
The School of Life Design Forum
You can take this advice and run with it and learn how to do all these steps on your own. If you have enough time and focus, I promise you can do it and it will work. But if you want the best shortcuts, advice, and community to help you get your business profiting, The School of Life Design Forum is the place to be.
The School of Life Design Forum is a private area of jessicamullen.com. You pay a monthly subscription fee of $11 for a username and password that gives you access to the page. This is what it looks like when you log in:
Here's how the forum can help you:
- Start taking yourself seriously. Get the help you need, a supportive community, and inside info. Start living your dream NOW. Give yourself motivation to start working on your own site. If you're paying for membership to a forum that's going to help you with your site, you'll be more inspired to work on it. Quit putting it off!
- Paying for access helps you commit to the belief that your ideas are worth spreading.
- You get one-on-one instruction combining web design with positive psychology. Your subscription is like tuition to an elite school teaching the new paradigm in digital self-employment. Ask questions about your specific situation.
- Professional website critiques.
- Technical help with code and making things work.
- Graphic design tips and feedback.
- Insider secrets. Find advertising opportunities, contact information, license keys.
- Download school supplies. All future worksheets, ebooks and School of Life Design materials will be released at no additional charge to forum subscribers.
- Philosophize. Give the voice of your higher self a test drive. Share experiences living the law of attraction.
- Community support. Everyone else in the forum is trying to do the same thing you are, so we all have a lot to contribute.
- Keep The School of Life Design thriving. Your dollars are what pay to host this site, keeping articles free and abundant. When you support me with your generosity, you are inviting more abundance into your life.
- Let go by releasing your problems into the forum. The forum helps you trust that an answer will come.
- Download the book Get a Website, Get Happy, Get Paid for free. This book will tell you everything you need to do to get started with your website, and the forum will answer the rest of your questions!
If you're wondering why you should trust that I know what I'm talking about, let me explain my own credentials. I have a BFA in graphic design from the University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, where I learned how to make websites and do good design. Then I worked as a professional web designer in Chicago for a few years, learning how to work with clients and make money. I returned to Champaign to teach web design at University of Illinois. I wanted to make teaching my career, so in 2008 I moved to Austin, Texas to get my MFA in Design, and completed my degree last May. While in graduate school, I studied lifestreaming, privacy, and online business models. I wrote my thesis about why lifestreaming is a life design methodology, which is the foundation of what I'm here telling you about now. (If you're curious, here's my whole design portfolio, and here is my CV.)
I've been making websites for 13 years and studying design for 9. I've been following trends in education, employment and the Internet and know that this is the future of creative work. I went to graduate school to teach what I know about the Internet, and this is how I'm doing it. I'll help you create the life of your dreams through your website and be the best mentor you've ever had! And if our physical paths ever cross, we can go out for drinks :]
Let go and trust that this is for you!
If you're in college, take the pressure off yourself. You can start your business now and know that you won't have to worry about getting a job when you graduate. Then college can be a fun playground where your only object is to learn (and get laid), and you don't have to take it so seriously!
If you're thinking about going to college but aren't sure what you want to study, consider starting your business first. Give yourself a year to explore life on your own terms, distill it into a website, and see what unfolds. Don't know where to start? Find one thing you're interested in and start writing about it. Work on your business a little bit every day and by the end of a year you'll know exactly who you are, where you want to go and who you want to be.
If you've already graduated college and aren't satisfied with where it's gotten you, start your business immediately! It's never too late to start over from scratch and do exactly what you want! Take the plunge and decide your happiness is more important than some company's bottom line. What do you have to lose?
(Note: click the “Return To jessica mullen design” button on the bottom right after purchasing to access the download link!)